Yesterday’s post and table provided the physician reimbursement schedule under Medicare. And astute reader contacted us to inform us that there is another reimbursement schedule that a physician (or hospital) could tap into under Medicaid.
Medicaid reimbursement will be managed at the State level, which will institute the guidelines provided by HHS. Much of the basic qualifications are similar, e.g., meaningful use of certified EHR, but other aspects diverge significantly.
The high points:
- Significantly more complicated process to receive reimbursement.
- Total reimbursement amounts up to $65,000/physician over five years. First year costs applied to purchase, install and training. Follow-on years, reimbursement for operations and maintenance.
- Reimbursement is for a percentage of total expenditures by physician for certified EHR.
- Extended time horizon, payments through 2021.
- Physician must demonstrate that a certain percentage of patients (20-30%) are covered by Medicaid.
Table below provides physician payment schedule under Medicaid. For more info, look to Division B of the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act, beginning on page 490.